rhubarb and apple baked breakfast oats
oats have long been favoured as an important source of important vitamins, minerals, fibre, protein and antioxidants. so to have them for breakfast is a great start to your day!
but porridge isn't everyone's jam.
so to switch things up, try our simple recipe for baked oats and you'll be bouncing out of bed in the mornings to make breakfast!
1 x sachet of super berry Belly Blends
1 apple, peeled, cored and diced
2 stalks of freshly washed rhubarb, diced
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup quick oats (or normal for a chunkier texture)
1/2 cup milk of choice (we used almond)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp baking powder
1. prepare the apple and rhubarb 'jam' by bringing the fruit to a simmer (lid on) in a small saucepan over low heat with 1/4 cup water.
2. add the contents of the Belly Blends sachet (don't forget to remove the freshness sachet!) and the vanilla essence to the pan and stir until all gelatin has dissolved and apple is just tender, about 3 minutes. the mixture should thicken slightly and stick to the back of the spoon. remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
3. combine remaining ingredients in a bowl and stir.
4. add half of the oat mix to a small ramekin, then add a good dollop of the fruit mix. top with remaining oats. add any additional fruit on top - we used a few frozen raspberries.
5. bake at 180 degrees for 20-25 minutes. serve hot on it's own or with a little natural yoghurt.
*you will be left with extra jam which can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days (will set but can be reheated) that can then be stirred into yoghurt or added to fruit crumbles.
get creative! this recipe can be used as a base with any flavour combo that takes your fancy each morning. some of our favourites are:
cacao + banana (using the cacao Belly Blends)
apple + cinnamon
apple + turmeric (using the golden Belly Blends)
enjoy! and don't forget to share your creations with us on Instagram by tagging @bellyblends