better for you black forest dessert
It's entertaining season!
We nearly always put our hand up to bring dessert and our friends are always wonderful, obliging guinea pigs for our new creations!
Something we've been wanting to try for a while is a better for you version of everyone's favourite decadent dessert, black forest cake.
What resulted was a cake/slice of three distinct layers of black forest flavours, but with the added benefit of gut-healing gelatin, refined sugar free, gluten and dairy free for those with intolerances.
With cherries coming into season, now is the perfect time to give this one a go, but you can also use canned or frozen cherries.
better for you black forest
2 cups almond flour
3 tbls cacao
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tbls almond butter
chocolate layer ingredients
Belly Blends cacao
1 can premium coconut cream
1 tbls rice malt syrup (optional)
cherry layer ingredients
2 cups of fresh or frozen pitted cherries or 1 can
1 tbls rice malt syrup
1 tbls gelatin
1. To make the base ingredients, blitz all ingredients in a food processor until well combined and sticks together when pressed between your fingers.
2. Press into a lined square tin and refrigerate while you make the next layer.
3. Prepare Belly Blends as per instructions. Using a heat prof jug, pour the mix on top of the chilled base and put back in the fridge for about an hour until set.
3. For the final layer, place the cherries, rice malt and 1/4 cup water into a saucepan and gently heat. Turn off heat and using a stick blender, blitz the cherries into a fine pulp. Strain through a fine sieve and return to the saucepan to reheat on low. Add gelatin and stir gently for about 3 minutes until completely dissolved.
4. Pour the jelly mix onto the set Belly Blends layer and place back in the fridge for another hour until set.
5. Once set, slice and enjoy!
This is just as decadent as the classic, so be prepared to be amazed and indulged!
Be sure to tag us on Instagram with your creations @bellyblends