5 ways to pack more plant-based foods into your week for better gut health
have you ever counted how many different types of plant-based foods you eat in a week?
studies show that individuals who consume at least 30 different plant-based foods each week have more varied gut bacteria, and ultimately a healthier gut microbiome as a result.
that's because mixing up the plant foods we eat exposes the body to different mixes of dietary fibre and key nutrients, which in turn plays a key role in maximising the types and quality of bacteria in the gut.
so if you're reaching for the same type of breakfast cereal, simple sandwich and meat and three veg each night, chances are you aren't even close to reaching 30 different plant foods each week to optimally feed your gut.
so how can you pack more into your week? here's our 5 tips:
- add soup or salad. these are a fantastic way of getting a great range of veggies, whole grains and legumes into your day and will boost your plant intake by at least another 5!
- go meat free 1-2 nights a week. as you start to explore more vegetarian dishes, you'll be enjoying 8-10 plants in one meal.
- add legumes, whole grains or nuts/seeds to your salads, breads and snacks.
- upgrade your breakfast. change it up daily, add a veggie juice, top your porridge with fruits, nuts and seeds to boost your quota from sunrise.
- swap, add or substitute. get creative in the kitchen and start adding more veg to your favourite dishes, swapping the meat out all together or substituting half of it for legumes and veggies.
think you've got it in the bag?
challenge yourself to get to 30 this week before changing it up next week with at least 10 being different from this week.
before you know it you'll be eating close to 30 in a day and feeling fabulous as a result!
want more? subscribe to our newsletter for new recipes, gut health tips and a welcome discount on your first Belly Blends purchase!